No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Camping Trip Menu

One of my favorite things to do is plan the menu for our camping trips! I love trying to come up with delicious, yet inexpensive, and convenient recipes that I can make in a jiffy so that I am not spending all of my time in the camper. There is nothing better then the aroma of your dinner already cooked and waiting for you after a long, enjoyable ride on the trail. We play hard (I know my husband along with his best friend Dave is literally laughing out loud on this one...hint we stop on the trail about as much as we ride!) and I am nothing but ready to sit and relax after returning to camp. The hardest thing I have to do is fight off all the other campers that can smell our cuisine drifting to their campsites! After much contemplation about variety, tastiness, time, as well as affordability this is what I have decided on for our suppers:
(I hope it's fitting for Keith...I haven't run it past him yet...HA!
Day 1


Crock pot Chicken Teriyaki

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
16 ounces pineapple chunks in light syrup, partially drained
6 ounces teriyaki sauce

Place chicken breasts in crock pot. Add the pineapple and teriyaki sauce, cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours. Serve over rice.

Day 2
Like I said, I like quick and easy!


McCormick Crock pot BBQ Ribs
1 pkg. McCormick Seasoning Mix


4 lbs. bone-in pork ribs, cut into 2-rib sections*
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey

DIRECTIONS
1. PLACE ribs in slow cooker. Mix Seasoning Mix, ketchup and honey until well blended. Pour over ribs. Cover.

2. COOK 8 hours on LOW or 4 hours on HIGH.

3. REMOVE ribs and place on serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from sauce. Serve sauce over ribs.

*For country-style ribs, cut into 1-rib sections. Cook 8 hours on LOW.

For thicker sauce: Pour sauce mixture into medium saucepan. Skim fat. Bring to boil on high heat. Cook 10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.

Slow Cooker Tip:
For best results, do not remove cover during cooking.
Serve with fried potatoes and onions straight from the iron skillet

Day 3

Dutch Oven Mexican Stew
1lb. hamburger
1/4C chopped onion
1 24oz. can V-8 juice
1 can corn
1pkg. taco season mix
1 small can sliced black olives
3/4C uncooked rice
1 15oz. can red kidney beans

Brown hamburger in dutch oven and drain grease. Add all ingredients and simmer 2 hrs. (try about 6 briquettes under the dutch oven and 4 on top.) Add taco chips when served.

Day 4
Left over day trail smorgasbord! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment